TIEMS believes that education and training is the key to improved resilience worldwide, and TIEMS is in the process of building up a comprehesive international education, training and certification program. TIEMS motto is:
Preparedness Saves Lives!
TIEMS Overall Educational Goals
Put international focus on the profession of Emergency and Disaster Management
Contribute to an international standard in education, training and certification in Emergency and Disaster Management
Contribute to the education in Emergency and Disaster Management by promoting the state of the art in technology, systems and methods available
Contribute to education at all levels, from policy documents to courses in primary school education
Establish a TIEMS Certification of Qualifications in International Emergency and Disaster Management
Contribute to capacity building in countries where little or no education and training in this field is available
Collect international education and training material in TIEMS ACADEMY
The goals of the TIEMS Academy are
- Educating the Public
- Educating Children
- Educating Officials
- Improving Preparedness
- Offering Courses and Training
- Helping Certify Expertise
- Build and Distribute Emergency Management Tools
The TIEMS Academy plans to:
- Develop an internationally shared understanding of emergency management elements, qualifications, and terminology
- Help students find and connect with useful live and online educational resources
- Make increasing amounts of emergency management knowledge available online, especially vulnerable societies
- Provide a platform to share critical lessons learned from disasters and emergencies
- Create an eLearning and Certification platform that will foster, across the international community, a shared, common understanding of emergency management elements, standards, and terminology
- Establish a directory of educational resources, described within a common framework, including live and online degree programs, courses, workshops, and knowledge bases
- Create an online portal that will make emergency management educational resources, from established educational institutions and initiatives, broadly available to students worldwide.
The TIEMS Academy will start out using FreeConferenceCall.com as its platform for eLearning:
FreeConferenceCall.com makes it easy to have online courses and meetings with up to 1,000 simultaneous participants. It also has local numbers for joining its meetings in over 59 countries.
TIEMS believes there is a need for an internationally shared understanding of emergency management elements, qualifications, and terminology, and is launching TIEMS – QIEDM - Certification of Qualifications in International Emergency and Disaster Management, as a global concept to establish such a shared understanding.
TIEMS QIEDM Certification
- The course curriculum will be comprised of both theoretical and practical courses and hands on training
- Courses will be offered by TIEMS in cooperation with Universities and Training Institutions worldwide through TIEMS Academy
- Participants must receive a passing grade on the certification exam
- TIEMS Chapters will be responsible for adding local/national competences
Once a review is performed of all submitted documentation and a passing grade is achieved on the certification exam, the TIEMS-QIEDM designation will be awarded by TIEMS QIEDM Certification Development Board.
Recertification will be required every three (3) years by successfully completing three QIEDM TIEMS International courses and submitting the appropriate recertification application.
QIEDM Certification Objectives
- Availability Globally
- Web-based On-Line
- Low Cost
- A Common Understanding of Emergency and Disaster Management
- The Common Language is English, but local language adaption in TIEMS Chapter Countries
- Lessons Learned Focus
- State-of-the-Art and Up-to-Date